Are you someone who loves to game, or just want the best virtual reality has to offer? With the future of technology at our hands, it has never been easier to grab a headset and enter a whole new world. Finding just the right VR CPU can be difficult, and we’re here to make the process easier. In this article, we will be exploring the top rated virtual reality ready processors. Now AMD and Intel have always had a highly competitive market in the world of computers, and this article should help break down exactly what their differences are.
Psst! Spoiler alert! The best VR CPU for 2023 is the Intel Core i9-12900K. With 16 cores and 24 processor threads, it is the optimal choice for the best price. Want something cheaper? Check out the AMD Ryzen 5900X! It has great quality for a more wallet-friendly price.
Best CPU For VR: Quick Comparison
Intel Core i9-12900K CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Desktop Processor
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Desktop Processor
Intel Core i5-11400 Desktop Processor
Intel Core i9-10850k Desktop Processor
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G Desktop Processor
Best Processor For VR 2023: Reviews
1. Intel Core i9-12900K
Top Rated Processor for VR Gaming
The Intel Core i9 Desktop Processor is an all-around great unit for your gaming needs.
With a high clock speed and 16 cores, this processor lets you run primary and secondary tasks seamlessly in the background.
Having a 600s Series compatibility, you will need to make sure you have the right motherboard for your processor.
This is the highest in its line, giving you groundbreaking results that are worth your money. For someone who uses VR as a career or a heavy influence in their life, this is a great choice for you.
This processor features hybrid architecture which integrates two core families onto a single CPU. This means that it uses two levels of service to create a hybrid system that increases your power and efficiency.
The Intel Core has a built-in thread director to manage your workload, sending the best task to the right core.
- Reliable technology for all needs
- Unlocked for the ability to overclock your speeds and personalize your experience
- 600s Series motherboards are common for new gaming builds searching
- A pricey choice if you aren’t prioritizing VR gaming on your computer.
2. AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Desktop Processor
Best Choice for Content Creating
The AMD Ryzen 9 is a powerhouse of a processor, best for creators.
If you enjoy streaming or creating, this is the processor for you.
With the ability to deliver over 100 FPS on average, you don’t have to worry about making that snap decision that can win you the game.
AMD is a popular decision for gamers everywhere, always delivering high quality for a consistent price.
One of the top names in the business, you can bet that the Ryzen 5950X is a good decision for your VR experience.
With its 16 cores and 32 threads, this makes digital art and video rendering a breeze. Any multi-threading task is made easy with this beefy processor, giving you lots of wiggle room to listen to music or other things while you strap into your VR headset.
If you see yourself as someone who streams or creates digital video content, this is a great choice to get the job done efficiently.
Its grand specifications make this CPU enticing for the more complicated jobs, as well as a computer that is on most of the day.
- AMD is a reputable brand, giving you confidence in your purchase
- You don’t have to worry about if you can run a game, as this is top-of-the-line technology
- The AMD warranty leaves you feeling safer in making such a purchase
- In the world of VR, it’s important to have a consistent FPS of 90 or higher, making this an appealing choice for a smooth and enjoyable time
- If streaming or creating isn’t your profession, the price of the AMD Ryzen 9 might be a little expensive
- A liquid cooler is recommended for this processor, potentially making things more complicated for your build
3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Desktop Processor
Best Value for Money Processor for VR Gaming
The Ryzen 9 5900X is a good choice for fast gaming. This processor features 12 cores and 24 processing threads, making it great for multi-thread activities and VR gaming alike.
With up to 70MB of cache, this CPU makes a great choice for everyone.
It can be put into any 500 series motherboard to give you great building potential.
This product comes with a tool to customize your PC experience, letting you fine-tune your computer to your needs and then change profiles for specializations. With the savings in price, you aren’t sacrificing quality for the price.
Being able to switch between two CPU defaults will make your transition from virtual reality to work extremely easy, and everything is personalized to exactly what you need to get the job done.
- AMD is a great brand with a good reputation
- Unlike the processor above, this CPU has a more reasonable cost for similar specs
- The customization will let you switch from a rig for VR to a rig better suited for work
- It is recommended that you have a high power cooling system, which can make saving on cost here more expensive in the long run
4. Intel Core i5-11400 Desktop Processor
Best Budget Buy for VR
The Intel Core i5 is a cost-efficient choice, which will bring you good VR quality for an inexpensive price.
It is supported with Intel 500 series and select Intel 400 series motherboards, making the search for the rest of your parts that much more inexpensive.
While this may not be the fanciest option out there, it is still a good choice and will run many triple-A VR games on the market.
Intel is a fantastic brand with the same reputability as AMD, making it a top competitor for promising CPU choices.
The processor is optimized for gaming of any kind and holds its own in a busy market.
Unlike some of the choices before, Intel doesn’t focus on the sleek design of their showmanship, instead putting all their time into making a reliable unit.
- Reputable source
- Great Specs
- Smaller in size, making it good for compact builds
- Integrated graphics card
- If the top of line gaming and performance is your thing, you may want to look at our AMD options instead
5. Intel Core i9-10850k Desktop Processor
Best Multi-Purpose Choice for VR Gaming
The Intel Core i9 10850K processor features 5.2GHz clock speed with Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 and a “Thermal Velocity Boost technologies” which means you will get what you need, as soon as you need it.
It also has Intel Hyper-Threading, so you can switch from gaming to work faster.
Stronger and more optimized than its predecessors, Intel has worked hard to bring you great technology at a reasonable price.
10 processors mean you can do everything you need without worrying about overloading your computer.
- Good quality for a reasonable price
- Reputable branding means a great choice for a good cost
- Does not require a special cooling system, making it better for a wider range of builds
- Listed as only working with specific items and under specific circumstances, potentially causing a problem with building it
6. AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Desktop Processor
While the Ryzen 5 5600 might not be the newest or most powerful processor out there right now, its price point and specifications still hold true to being a powerful unit.
This one is particularly good for those who use their computer mainly for work but still want to sit back and tap into the world of virtual reality.
Its lower price than our competitors mentioned above make it a worthy choice, letting you save a bit while still experiencing everything. In saving on the CPU, you can choose to spend more on the VR unit of your dreams.
This unit is able to consistently give you a good FPS without being overly flashy.
When choosing a CPU for VR, you definitely don’t want to count this one out for a good choice on a tight budget.
- Very inexpensive, but still able to run a wide variety of VR games
- Comes with a built-in graphics card, making your build more cost-effective
- 12 threads make multi-tasking easy
- Against others in the list, it won’t hold up in the long-term future of where gaming is heading
Good CPU for Virtual Reality FAQ
Does CPU help with VR?
While regular gaming does require its fair share of CPU and graphics (depending on the game) VR helps immensely with getting the smoothest VR experience. Everything requires computing power, and VR is double that.
Before you buy a VR set, you want to make sure that your computer is VR ready. To have a good experience with virtual reality, you want to have a CPU that can clock 90FPS on average, or else the video will be choppy or distorted to you.
As well, you need a processor with a high enough core and thread count to make sure all the needs for your game are met without harming your computer.
What is the best CPU for VR?
The best CPU for VR is the Intel Core i9 12900K Desktop processor. With the best all-around specifications, this makes VR gaming a beautiful reality and worth every penny for its stunning quality.
Is i7 10700L Good for VR?
Yes, because as long as your computer can consistently hit 90FPS while running a VR game, you will have a good experience. The i7 10700L has a 12 core 20 thread processor, with 3.6 GHz and an Intel Smart Cache of 25MB, making it a good choice for Virtual Reality.
Is Ryzen 3600 VR Ready?
The Ryzen 3600 is a good VR processor chip if you are starting out and want to have a cost-effective CPU with 100+ FPS potential. It has 6 cores and 12 processing threads as well as a Wraith Stealth Cooler, making it a great bundle deal. With 4.2 GHz and DDR4, you will have great reaction times from your computer for all your VR needs.
AMD always has a good warranty policy for issues that may occur, making it easy to trust their products.
This version of CPU may be best for those who want to use VR in their spare time, as opposed to using VR as a focal point of your career.
Final Thoughts About the Top Rated VR Ready Processors
Picking the right virtual reality ready processor can be difficult. It’s not hard to tell that when it comes to CPUs; Intel and AMD are hard competitors in the market. No matter what you choose, all of these have great quality for a good price.